Thursday, March 12, 2009

Genres in a text

My favorite book, "The Moves Make the Man," fits into a couple of genres.  While I don't know the "official" names of these genres, I will define them as "sports" and "race/culture."  The book, which tells the story of an African-American basketball player, treats both of these issues (sports and race) with respect, frankness, and humor.  I originally read the novel because of my interest in basketball (my favorite sport), but it was the treatment of race that impacted me the most.

In the novel, Jerome Foxworthy (an African-American) befriends Braxton Rivers III ("Bix," a caucasian) and shares numerous life experiences with him.  As the two grow closer, race at times becomes a barrier that they must overcome in order to maintain their vulnerable companionship.  Throughout the story, basketball is the common thread that holds them together, as well as a venue through which the author (Bruce Brooks) divulges their true character.

I think it is the sports genre that most attracts the readers of this novel, as was the case for myself.  Basketball plays a key role in the story, although I would describe it as a "foundation," rather than the "focus."  The basketball action is beautifully and accurately described in detail, and is sufficient for enjoyment of the book.  But the real substance of the story is in Brooks' treatment of race.

Race is likely the true genre of this book, and I would expect this to be especially true in the eyes of the author and publishers.  A sport, basketball, is really an effective tool which is used by Brooks to convey strong views on race, culture, and the way it affects relationships.  Brooks treats these issues with complete honesty - sometimes brutal, sometimes hilarious (e.g., Jerome's admission that he feels sorry for white boys when they have to take off their shirts, because their chests are so boringly pale).  This use of humor seems to relax the reader, increasing the receptivity of Brooks' opinionated stance on cultural issues.

In the end, I think the book is marketed in the "sports" genre in order to convey a very deliberate "race/culture" stance, though not deceptively so.  Brooks uses basketball and race effectively, beautifully weaving his own cultural views into an gripping and entertaining sports novel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment