Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lecture Summary

In class this Thursday, we looked in depth at the concepts of media conglomerates and media conglomeration. We looked closely at vertical integration, which occurs when all the steps in a given production process are owned by one company. To many, vertical integration borders on monopoly, and thus feel that it has a negative effect on our society. However, to some (and presumably mostly those involved in vertical integration) is a means by which we (the USA) can better compete on the international level (i.e., "our monopolies versus yours").

Another thing that plays a role in this balancing act is the concept of "synergy." This refers to the positive of effects of vertical integration. A helpful way to think about it was described as "1+1 = >2." I agree with this concept and I really like the way the previous formula helps me visualize it. I think the concept is rather evident in our society, particularly in team sports - although there are probably better examples that relate more to media conglomerates.

Something I had never thought about, but was made clear to me in class today, was the fact that advertisers are, in fact, consumers. Even more eye-opening was the truth that they are indeed buying me. This startling concept has caused me to think more about the commercials I see on television and I have begun to make some observations about them. I guess it seems silly to me now, but I had never thought about how certain commercials are really only played on certain types of broadcasts (e.g., the retarded "power-stripe" deodorant commercials are predominantly aired during sports broadcasts). I'm starting to see new connections between the commercials and the broadcasts they air on, and am even beginning to realize that the commercials are really a reflection of the advertiser's view of me (my interests) based on the show(s) that I am watching. Honestly, I'm not completely sure what to make of all of this yet, as it is still sinking in, but I am certainly giving more thought to television commercials than I ever thought I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment